According to Project Management Institute (PMI), about 11.4% of all investments are wasted because of poor project performance. No wonder many companies seek one-fits-all project management tools. While there are popular platforms like Monday.com, you should consider other options to find the perfect fit for your business.
Whether you need a task or a project management tool, many options are available. The problem is navigating through all the choices to pick the one that takes your project management to another level.
Considering that, we researched Monday.com alternatives focusing on three key factors – features, integration, and price. Now, let's review what our research brought and discover the best Monday.com alternative to help you handle multiple projects simultaneously.
Why should you consider a Monday.com alternative?
As a project management software, Monday.com has been on the market for a while and the platform is still expanding and taking on new opportunities. People standing behind the platform emphasize the visual design and the users' collaboration ability. Monday.com suggests that visual style is of utmost importance when presenting information.
Monday.com presents these key features:
- Customized dashboards for planning and tracking projects
- Deadline management with notifications
- Bug tracking
- Business Collaboration
- Workflow customization
Yet, even though this project management platform has a great User Interface (UI) and plenty of customization options, there’s a list of disadvantages to consider:
- High cost for a project management tool with traditional project management features
- Lack of premium and unique features that stand out
- A high degree of complexity leading to a steep learning curve
While Monday.com is still a collaborative project management software to consider, other more affordable and simpler-to-use options are available.
To get the baseline, here are the Monday.com pricing plans to choose from:
- Individual at €0 for up to 2 seats
- Basic at €8/seat/month
- Standard at €10/seat/month
- Pro at €16/seat/month
- Enterprise plan coming with custom pricing
Monday.com alternative: Selection criteria
Now, let's consider the criteria for selecting Monday.com alternatives – features, integrations, and pricing.
Along with the standard project management and collaboration features, it was crucial to recognize each tool’s additional options.
Integrations are crucial for project management tools because for any features one might lack, there is a chance to find a third-party integration to compensate for that. We have presented key integrations for each of the Monday.com alternatives.
We looked at the different pricing plans for each candidate on the list.
The best Monday.com alternative: our top 7 picks for project management
Now that we know the selection criteria for Monday.com alternatives, let's proceed to the list itself:
Image source: workstreams.ai
workstreams.ai is a workflow management platform making project management simple, organized, and efficient. With this tool, you can have it all – from a better hiring experience to improved marketing campaign management and sales.
workstreams.ai boosts team productivity and takes workflow management to another level. With this platform, you can manage projects with clear communication and automation. Any project progress will be connected and procedures automated so you can focus on the top-priority tasks.
Without a doubt, workstreams.ai is the platform with some notable toolkits:
- Time allocation provides an instant overview of tasks requiring more time than others
- The Frozen tasks feature displays the time passed since the latest task activity to always keep team members up-to-date on both single and multiple projects
- The in-app calendar provides a calendar perspective and allows users to see tasks plotted on a daily, weekly, or monthly view to manage projects as easily as creating events in a calendar
- The auto-forwarding feature presents users with a chance to set up forwarding rules to help move tasks through the workflow smoothly
- Flexible Kanban boards grant access to outcome-oriented, agile, and flexible workflows
When it comes to compatibility, workstreams.ai presents these third-party integrations:
To access all the features and integrations above, you need to choose a pricing plan meeting your needs. Luckily, workstreams.ai offers a 14-day free trial with access to all the pro aspects of the platform. If 14 days is insufficient, choose between these packages:
- Hero at $0 for up to 3 users
- Pro at $7.99 per user/month
- Enterprise plan with tailored-to-your-needs pricing
Image source: Computerworld
Smartsheet is a project management software known for its flexibility and ease of use. This platform comes with a user-friendly design and well-organized solutions to help your task or project management teams with any project on their hands.
Smarthsheet and various Smartsheet alternatives present themselves as good Monday.com alternatives. In general, these are easy-to-use and cheaper options that also offer customization.
Smartsheets is a cloud-based project management system that has an impressive toolkit. These are the tool’s key features to consider:
- Tabular look offers an opportunity to reassemble Excel sheets into intuitive groups
- Customizable sheets help teams track tasks and other data in a well-structured format
- Pre-built templates for an array of use cases within project management, marketing, and human resources
- Comprehensive collaboration features allow users to make comments, mentions, and shared views to propagate an effective teamwork
As to some notable integrations, Smartsheets presents these to choose from:
- Microsoft Office
- Google Drive
To use the tool, you can tap into a 30-day free trial. Yet, if you need access to some advanced features, consider these four pricing plans:
- Free plan for one user and two editors
- Pro at $7/user/month
- Business at $25/user/month
- Enterprise plans are custom priced
Asana is a simple yet functional project management software. Most project managers choose it for an appealing User Interface (UI) and multiple integrations. It is a perfect fit for small projects without reliance on heavy resources, many team members, and unlimited users.
Asana's key benefit lies in its real-time collaboration among team members. You can quickly establish roles and assign tasks and users will get automatic notifications whenever someone mentions them or assigns them a task.
Asana’s toolkit contains these key features:
- Advanced task management allows teams to work with Gantt charts and other tools to manage projects easily
- Kanban boards offer easy and smooth workflow management
- To-do lists for easier task tracking and long-term planning
- Timeline views offer perspectives both on the entire project and its parts
- Custom fields allow users to create single-select, multi-select, and text custom fields in projects and portfolios
When speaking about third-party integrations, Asana presents the following:
- Microsoft Office
- Google Drive
- Adobe Creative Cloud
To tap into the features and potential integrations above, you need to choose between Asana's pricing plans:
- Basic at $0/month
- Premium at $13.49/month
- Business at $30.49/month
- Enterprise with custom pricing
Basecamp is a versatile project management tool and a good Monday.com alternative. If you need to focus on workflow management, pre-made templates are available to meet the needs of any project out there.
The platform has a simple interface, a smooth learning curve, drag-and-drop file sharing, and hourly backups. Even though the tool has decent project management features, Basecamp won’t meet your needs if you need project budgeting and advanced task management.
When it comes to Basecamp’s essential features, keep in mind these:
- Tracking with to-do lists to help users track work, deadlines, progress, and details
- Storing, sharing, and discussion in files to enable better space organization
- Automatic check-ins to provide users with automatic questions
- Hill charts to track the progress of the entire project
- Document management to track progress on any paperwork used
In terms of integrations, these come with Basecamp:
- Google Drive
To get what Basecamp has to offer, you need to select one of these options:
- Personal plan free for up to 3 projects, 20 users, and 1GB
- Business plan at $99 per user/month
Airtable is a cloud-based innovative database management software. This visually appealing platform comes with various customizations and project management features.
Consider these Airtable features:
- Pre-built views allow users to choose how they see data
- Building and sharing custom interfaces to reduce the degree of manual input and rely more on workflow automation
- Easy and safe scaling with enterprise-level administrative control
- Central data storage for real-time synchronization for teams to keep everyone on the team up-to-date
Airtable brings forward these third-party integrations:
- Google Calendar
To use Airtable, you should pick among these options:
- Free plan for up to five creators
- Plus plan at $10 per user/month
- Pro plan at $20 per user/month
- Enterprise plan with custom pricing
See also: Airtable alternatives
Trello is a well-known and leading project management tool supporting teams at every stage of the project development cycle. Besides, Trello is a good team management platform for software development projects that you can easily integrate into your project management system.
Here are Trello’s key features:
- Highly customizable cards represent tasks and hold information a user needs to get the job done
- Advanced lists offer a total degree of control over different stages of the project or the task, including to-do, doing, and done categories
- High-level boards keep tasks organized and the entire workflow moving forward
- Advanced calendar with distinct scheduling opportunities to have a grasp of the timeline and help users maintain work-life balance
As a task management tool, Trello comes with these integrations:
- Google Drive
To get access to Trello’s features and integrations above, you need to choose between four pricing packages:
- Free plan
- Standard plan at $5 per user/month
- Premium at $10 per user/month
- Enterprise at $17.50 per user/month
Wrike is another potent Monday.com alternative with exciting project management features suitable for enterprises and companies handling complex projects. The tool comes with in-built time tracking and has multiple integrations making file sharing easy.
Wrike offers a distinct degree of centralization and is a significant assistant for marketing and customer service teams. Besides, it comes with chat features to help inbound communication.
As to the key features associated with Wrike, consider these:
- Customized spaces allow users to create custom fields
- Custom item types to match various team processes
- Dynamic request forms automate the work intake while routing the requests in one place
- AI work creation analyzes work notes and automatically translates them into various items and sub-items
Wrike comes with these integrations:
- Microsoft Teams
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Google Drive
Choose between five pricing plans:
- Free plan
- Team at $9.80 per user/month
- Business at $24.80 per user/month
- Enterprise for large teams with custom pricing
- Pinnacle for teams with complex needs with custom pricing
The best Monday.com alternative for project management: Comparison table
|Platform||Key features||Pricing||Free trial|
Among these top seven Monday.com alternatives, there is something to find for every company. While some options emphasize customization more and others promote better workflow management, all the candidates on the list can compete with Monday.com as the platform aiding your project management system.
What’s better than Monday.com?
It is hard to point out one project management software better than Monday.com. However, we choose workstreams.ai as the affordable project management tool with enough features and integrations to serve as a good Monday.com alternative.
What is cheaper than Monday.com?
When it comes to project management tools cheaper than Monday.com, consider these:
What are the limitations of Monday.com?
The main limitations of Monday.com are its pricing, no advanced features, and steep learning curve.
How does Monday.com compare to Trello?
When comparing Monday.com with Trello, there are several points to consider:
- In terms of visual style, Trello is more simple, while Monday.com is more visually appealing and customizable
- As to the complexity, Trello is easier to use, while Monday.com is a bit more complex
- As to the pricing, Trello offers a free version, while Monday.com only comes with a free trial and you need to pay to get access to all the features
- In terms of integrations, both Monday.com and Trello offer integrations with Google Drive, Zapier, and Slack
- Finally, as to the features, while Monday.com takes an upper hand in customizability, Trello offers features allowing you to add advanced calendars